For Weddings, Baptisms, Funerals please contact:
Parish Administrator 07943222687
General Email and Notice Sheet items: email@example.com
For Church Wardens email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Priest in Charge: Revd. Dr Mike Rajkovic
Tel: 01709 814914
mob: 0771 447 4081
All Saints' Church is the focal point of the rural village of Laughton en le Morthen. Laughton is situated close to both Rotherham and Sheffield.
Laughton was a Saxon centre, and a church stood on the site of the present building. Portions of this Saxon church have been incorporated into the present church. The north doorway is a fine example of Saxon architecture. It is best viewed from outside the church. The Saxon doorway is considered to be a good example of ‘carpenter’s masonry,’ marking the transition from wood to stone building.
The church was subsequently re-built by the Normans. The three fine round pillars on the north side of the nave formed part of this church. Much of the chancel also belongs to the Norman period, including the round-headed window which remains to this day above the Vestry door.
Early in 1322 during an uprising of the Barons, The town of Laughton and the church were attacked and ruined. The church lay in ruins for 50 years until the present (and third) church was built around 1377.
Inside the church the stately arcades are adorned by angels surmounting the capitals. The 14th century octagonal pillars of the south arcade are in striking contrast to the Norman Pillars of the North arcade. The octagonal font in the church is of the same period as the third church, late 14th century, although its cover was made in the 17th century.
In the Lady Chapel, which is situated at the south east end of the church, there is a wooden table which stands on a stone slab. This stone slab is one of the original altars, and there are five crosses engraved in the stone. It is a pre reformation altar that was hidden in 1555 when these were forbidden to use.
The church contains memorials to many prominent families and people from Laughton en le Morthen’s history.
The tower and spire rise to 185 feet, and can be seen for miles around. It is one of the finest examples of any village church spire in the country.
Our Beautiful church is full of history, and tells a story of Laughton village and it's people through the ages.
All Saints' Church
Laughton en le Morthen
Follow our Worship Band 'Trinity' on Facebook
Click on the YouTube video below to see stunning drone footage of our beautiful church!
Photography and Editing by Andy Frith